Saturday, June 12, 2010

Canadian MP Libby Davis is anti-Israel, but doesn't know why

As you will see in this video, Canadian MP Libby Davis, an outspoken critic of Israel, has no grasp of basic facts of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and is not bothered in the least by her ignorance. Whatever the facts, Israel must be wrong. The interviewer commented:
 
Last weekend I interviewed NDP MP (a NDP=Leftist Party, MP=Canadian Member of Parliament) Libby Davies at an anti Israel rally that I was filming.  Libby Davies is one of the more prominent critics of Israel in Canada, so I thought I would hear an eloquent argument on why Israel is bad.  However, what I got instead was evasiveness and a misunderstanding of basic facts of history
 
I first asked he when she believes that the occupation started in 1948 or 1967.  I was hoping to gauge what part of the anti-Israel spectrum she was on.  When she answered 1948, and then started talking about the occupation of Gaza and the West Bank, I was stunned.  It seemed to me that she believed that those territories fell under occupation after the war for independence, not the 67 war.  As the interview went on, it became more clear that she did not actually know much about the conflict.  How is it that a leader on a national stage can take such a stand against another country without understanding what she is taking a stand on?  While I may have disagreed with her ideas, I would have had little problem with her if she actually knew about the cause that she was trying to rally people to.  But she had no clue what she was talking about other then parroting a few lines at me.
 
If the lady actually knew what she was talking about, would it change her opinion? One doubts that that is the case.
 
Ami Isseroff
 

No comments: